9.04.2006

mother, do you think she's good enough

it started out innocently enough. i would realize it when i was in the grocery store and watched the screen as everthing was rung through, making sure the prices were right, afterwards double checking the receipt. and i was accutely aware that there was something more to my more recent habit of buying regular household items in bulk when they are on sale, scanning the flyers on wednesday afternoons for good deals. then there is the way i freeze ground beef, flat in pancakes for easy defrosting and my need to have a clean bathtub, clean windows and clean sheets.

i used to be messy and those of you that knew me back in university or better yet, highschool, can attest to this fact. and i don't mean your run of the mill messy, more like mold growing on windowsill, sweaty bedsheet messy. but i grew up in a home that was emaculate, my mom always cleaning. floors you could eat off of. one crumb in the middle of the floor and she would apologize to guests "sorry about the mess". i suspect my messiness was in rebellion to this.

something happened this weekend though and i think i have come to grips with it finally. yesterday afternoon i finallybecame my mother, and it's ok. have you become yours yet?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

have i ever become my mother! when i say "my mother's crazy," what i really mean is "my mother is exhibiting my closeted behaviours." god help me!

Tara said...

My am the total opposite of my mother and I worked hard to become just that... Your cabinets look great...

m said...

I fear that I might become my mother, but I'm working very hard not to be. That said, by looking at your cabinets, I want to become your mother!