1.18.2007

i've always been intrigued by the letter "Q".

so i am reading stanley park by timothy taylor and so far i am really enjoying it. i wasn't sure at first, it seemed...well maybe too polished. i am not sure that is the right word but something wasn't right with me and it. over a few dozen pages i became engaged though. i am quite liking getting interested in a book. i haven't tried in awhile, spending most of my reading time attempting to stay up to date with my harpers subscription or reading short stories. i will keep you posted on how it turns out. i suspect that some of my readers have read it, what did you think?

in other review news i have been meaning to mention a movie that we saw a couple of weeks back now. it was this and it was great, despite looking like something that would have serious potential to put you to sleep. we were glued to our seat and couldn't believe just how interesting the whole thing was. maybe that just makes us complete nerds, which would come to no surprise to anyone.

wait, what was the point of this post again? oh yeah that's right, not much. any good movies/books you've seen/read lately that you want to share?

4 comments:

m said...

I've read Stanely Park and I really enjoyed it. There's one scene that I don't think I will ever forget. I'll wait until you've finished the book before telling you what it is.

I haven't seen that movie yet, but I loved the doc about spelling bees and scrabble tournaments, so I think that would be totally up my alley.

I'm working through Keith Mallaird's four volume Difficulty at the Beginning. I'm on book three right now: Lyndon Johnson and the Majorettes. It's been really good so far, but I keep wanting another Gloria, and although at times this comes close, I think I'm dreaming of the impossible.

Tara said...

I haven't read it but will add it to my ever growing list.

This post made me think of your photography class, how is it going? We haven't heard about it much lately.

t said...

m - there is a movie about scrabble tournaments?!? sweet jesus! what is it called?

as for gloria, i must admit with shame and a hung head that i couldn't get into it. it was loaned to me with, i believe, a feeling f certainty that i would and yet i couldn't bring myself to care. i think she was just too southern and ridiculous for me. maybe time and space. i should probably try it again. last time i made it 3/4 of the way through and called it a day.

tara - the photo class was only six weeks long and it finished in the middle of december. it was good and in the end i was glad i took it even if i learned much more about photoshop than photography (although some might say they are one and the same in many ways).

Trish @ spiritofplace.com said...

I read stanley park ages ago and I did enjoy it. Right now I'm loving the books at http://www.persephonebooks.co.uk/. Any book that's being reprinted after 50 or so years is likely quite good! It feels like all I do is recommend them these days...