1.27.2006

he fell in love. it was his life.



i really liked this book. worth checking out. as always i stole a piece of it and put it away for a rainy day. it looks like it is going to start sprinkling again so here it is...

"after that day when I saw the elephant, I let myself believe more. It was a game I played with myself. When I told Alma the things I saw she would laugh and tell me she loved my imagination, for her I changed pebbles into diamonds, shoes into mirrors, I changed glass into water, I gave her wings and pulled birds from her ears and in her pockets she found the feathers, I asked a pear to become a pineapple, a pineapple to become a lightbulb, a lightbulb to become the moon, and the moon to become a coin I flipped for her love, both sides were heads: I knew I couldn’t lose.

and now, at the end of my life, I can barely tell the difference between what is real and what I believe. for example, this letter in my hand-I can feel it between my fingers. the paper is smooth, except in the creases. I can unfold it, and fold it again. as certain as I am sitting here now, this letter exists.

and yet.

in my heart I know my hand is empty."

nicole krauss
the history of love

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, i'm so glad that you liked that book. it's one of the few that i may read again, especially for the language & images like you posted. so, did you guess the ending?...

l